A Cork soccer resource. This is an archive of mini club histories that I have published over the years. To find your club, check the label list on the left side or else use the "search the blog" box above. If you spot any errors (esp. in dates) contact

Saturday, October 3, 2009

MUNSTER 1984/85

MUNSTER 1984/85

Munster 1 Leinster 2
Gerry Geaney’s Munster FA junior team were caught by a late rally in an inter-provincial at The Farm in February 1985. Munster had led from early on but two goals in the closing eight minutes earned the visitors the win.

Munster got off to a great start. In the second minute, a corner by Eamonn McDaid flew directly into the net. But they were regularly under pressure afterwards.

Goalkeeper Declan Higgins of Limerick and defenders Philip O’Regan (Waterford), Ger Hayes and Barry McGovern (both Cork) were in top form and helped absorb Leinster’s sustained attacks throughout the second half.

The visitors were driven on by the excellent form of John Tracey in midfield and while Frank Flynn (Limerick) played very well in this sector, Leinster superiority eventual paid off.

Tracy headed the equaliser with eight minutes to go and then struck the corner, which Ken Gibbons turned home for the winning goal.

The Cork players on the side were McGovern (Carrigaline Utd), Hayes (Wilton Utd), Anthony Hogan (Ballincollig) and John Horan (Western Rovers). Due to the excellent form of Higgins, Cork keeper Ger McGreevey (Greenmount) didn’t get a run at The Farm.

McGovern played his usual sound role as sweeper while right full Ger Hayes didn’t put a foot wrong. The Munster forward line hadn’t much to offer but second half sub Hogan made a couple of strong runs while John Horan, also a sub, got less than ten minutes to show his paces.

And no, that is not Philip Long (second from left on the rear). Temple United and Long’s team St Mary's were the leading cork teams that season but due to their involvement in the area final of the FAI Junior Cup on the following day, Geaney was unable to play a full hand.

Limerick were represented by four fine players, all members of the Star Rovers club: Higgins, Flynn, Boland, and Mullane. Star were the beginning to dominate junior soccer in Limerick at the time and went on to win three Munster Junior Cups in a row in the mid eighties and also reached the FAI Junior Cup semi-final.

Bernard O’Neill, Echo soccer correspondent in Limerick and also a Star player before joining Ballynanty Rovers, recalls that Pat Boland, who captained the Munster side, was an Irish Schoolboy and Junior international and was a top class player while centre-half John Mullane, keeper Declan Higgins and midfielder Frankie Flynn were all top notch performers.

The players that represented Munster that day twenty seasons back were: D. Higgins, G. Hayes, B. McGovern, P. O’Regan, P. Boland (captain), G. Dawney, F. Flynn, J. Mullane, D. O’Callaghan, L. O’Donovan and E. McDaid. Subs used: A. Hogan and J. Horan.

No comments:

Post a Comment