A Cork soccer resource. This is an archive of mini club histories that I have published over the years. To find your club, check the label list on the left side or else use the "search the blog" box above. If you spot any errors (esp. in dates) contact

Monday, October 5, 2009



It was a memorable year for the third division juniors of Greenwood, the

lively Togher based outfit bringing off a great double by winning the title in

Murphy's Stout AUL 3 and by beating higher ranked Castle Celtic in the final

of the Saxone Cup at Turner's Cross.

Captain Dan McCarthy played a leading role, particularly in the goal scoring

area. The team played 38 games in cup and league and McCarthy ended up with a

grand total of 31 goals.

Greenwood were drawn away in the opening three rounds and emerged with wins

over Kingston Rangers (3 - 2), Dosco Villa (5 - 0), and Boher Albion (4 - 2).

Their first home game was against Southend and here they gained a 1 - 0 win.

In the semi-final, at the ESB Grounds, they defeated West End Utd 2 - 1 and,

after a scoreless final, beat Castle 9 - 8 on penalties.

The league was also something of a nailbiter, Greenwood winning their last

game away to Dripsey Celtic to pip Innishannon by just one point. The top two

had met and played a scoreless draw; it was Innishannon's last game,

Greenwood had three to go and needed to win all three and this they duly did.

They beat Strand 5 - 0 and College Corinthians 3 - 0. Dripsey gave them a

fright and Greenwood had to come from behind. Aidan McCarthy, Dan's brother,

equalised, and Martin Sweeney (the veteran of the side) provided the winner.

The regular panel members were: Finbarr Lynch (keeper), Mick Grainger,

Diarmuid Gillane, Eric O'Mahony, Damien Crowe and his brother Leonard, Peter

Lynch, Martin Sweeney, Brian Mohally, the McCarthys (Dan and Aidan), Tony

O'Leary, Christy O'Callaghan, Steve O'Leary, and Elton Lenihan.

The club were founded in 1976 by Gerard Cronin, Paddy Coen, Denis Linehan

(President), and Pat O'Connor (the current chairman). They started with teams

in the Cork Schoolboys League and the Southside League.

Greenwood first entered the AUL in 1983 with a youths team, following up with

a junior side two years later. The club's first big trophy win was in 1986

when the youths won their Second Division League. The juniors were promoted

from the third division in 1987 and, three years later, won the championship

in League 2.

They spent one year in Division One and then entered the Intermediate league

where they still compete. This season, Greenwood fielded no less than eight

teams: six schoolboys, one intermediate, and one junior.

Liam O'Brien was their well know intermediate manager but he stepped down at

the recent annual general meeting. Liam deserves his break after 32 years in

football, ten of them with Greenwood. But all associated with the club will

welcome him back whenever he decides he has had enough of the quiet life.

The current committee is: Pat O'Connor, chairman; Niall McCarthy, secretary;

Bernard Hughes, treasurer; Neilus Fitzpatrick, Seamus O'Callaghan, Michael

Grainger, Dan McCarthy, Martin Sweeney, Damien Budden, Aidan McCarthy, and

John Budden.

No comments:

Post a Comment