A Cork soccer resource. This is an archive of mini club histories that I have published over the years. To find your club, check the label list on the left side or else use the "search the blog" box above. If you spot any errors (esp. in dates) contact

Tuesday, September 29, 2009


Dripsey Celtic

Dripsey Celtic, winners of last season's Saxone Cup, were intent on winning AUL 2 this season. But new manager Timmy O'Sullivan and his assistant Harry O'Brien have had a change of priority forced on them. A poor start to the league meant they were soon out of the contention and then the retention of the Saxone became the main aim.

But it could all have been so different had Dripsey managed to hold onto a two goal lead against leaders Ardmanning Celtic. Those two early goals were lost in "a crazy 12 minute spell, a total loss of concentration that allowed Ardmanning run in four goals" according to club spokesman Stephen Fogarty. Dripsey now concede that Ardmanning are "money on" to take the AUL 2 title. Dripsey will continue to battle for the second spot but that seems to lie between UCC and Douglas Hall.

Dripsey though can put some pressure on their promotion rivals by beating Harp Utd on Sunday (kick off 10.45 ) in Monard. Harp, battling against the drop, frustrated Dripsey in their first meeting and the tie ended all square. O'Sullivan and O'Brien will be looking for all three points on this occasion.

The Dripsey squad is: Raymond Moynihan, Pat O'Riordan, Ross Underhill, Martyn Underhill, John Duggan, Billy Murphy, Gary Murphy, Brian Linehan, Brian Healy, Tomas Ryan, Tadhg Manley, Cathal Dineen, John Keohane, Mark O'Sullivan, Dave Hogan, Rona Maher, Ger O'Shea, Noel O'Sullivan (captain), John Hogan, Damien Barry, Eugene "Spatch" O'Sullivan, Davy Buckley and Pat Ring.

Bob McCullough is the Dripsey president and the officers are Martyn Underhill (chairman), Ger O'Shea (secretary) and Thomas Ryan (treasurer). Other committee members are: Ronan Maher, Helen Feeney, Stephen Fogarty and Noel O'Sullivan. The club receives regular support from The Fountain, The Weigh Inn, Joe Cotter Haulage and O'Crualaoi Butchers.

Saxone CUP

Billy Murphy's early winner gave Dripsey Celtic a 1-0 win over West End in last season's Saxone Cup final; it was Celtic's first ever piece of silverware. They are through to this season's final, against league rivals Ardmanning Celtic (winners of last season's President's Cup) and it should be a cracker.

Though champions, Dripsey entered their first round game against 2B title contenders Passage as underdogs. Eugene O'Sullivan put Dripsey, almost unbeatable at home, ahead in the first half. Visitors Passage equalised after the break before Dripsey sub Ronan Maher scored with his first touch to send them on to round two.

Dripsey were in for another tough one, away to 2A contenders Churchview Celtic and stand-in keeper Pat O'Riordan did well as Churchview went on all out attack after a scoreless first half. The city side did take the lead in the 70th minute but never say die Dripsey equalised though Gary Murphy in the 89th. Extra time started sweetly for Dripsey when a cross by skipper Noel O'Sullivan came back off the bar and was slotted home by Dave "Mongo" Hogan for the winner.

Celtic Utd are also in the running in 2A and they were Dripsey's next opponents. Dripsey were at home on this occasion and there were quite a few there to cheer them on. Late in the first half, Dripsey struck twice. Both goals came from Eugene "Spatch" O'Sullivan; Noel O'Sullivan set up the first, Davy Buckley the second. United piled on the pressure after the break but Dripsey keeper Raymond Moynihan was in defiant form.

Dripsey were drawn away to Knocknaheeny in the semi-final and knew it would be difficult. But they needn't have worried as two goals in the opening six minutes sent them on their way to a 3-1 victory and back to the Cross for the second time in two years.

In the 5th minute, Tadhg Manley's pin-point pass sent the lively Pat O'Riordan in for the opener. Sixty seconds later, Gary Murphy chased a long clearance by keeper Raymond Moynihan and headed the hopping ball over the Knocknaheeny keeper.

Knocknaheeny gradually got back into it and only a great 32nd minute save by Moynihan prevented a home goal. Three minutes later, Dripsey sub Billy Murphy handled in the box and the home side converted the penalty.

But Dripsey soon restored their two goal advantage. In the 40th minute, Murphy's clearance broke to brother Gary who set up Eugene O'Sullivan who made no mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment