A Cork soccer resource. This is an archive of mini club histories that I have published over the years. To find your club, check the label list on the left side or else use the "search the blog" box above. If you spot any errors (esp. in dates) contact

Tuesday, September 29, 2009



Looking for your typical underdog? Then look no further than AUL third division outfit Dillon's Cross.

Without a league win to their credit and bottom of the table in Murphy's Stout AUL 3B, the northsiders have somehow or other managed to find themselves a place in the fourth round of the coveted AOH Cup. Over one hundred and twenty team started off in round one but Dillon's, touched by that romantic cup magic, have found a route to the last 32, their next barrier either Blarney Street or Temple Utd.

Both of these are first division outfits; neither northside neighbour holds any particular fears for the men of the Cross who disposed of first division Greenmount in the previous round.

Dillon's Cross Football Club was formed not much over a year ago. Two local lads, Mark Riordan and Damien Wiley, decided that there were enough young players in the area playing amongst themselves to form a new team.

Most of the original squad were all known to one another and at their first meeting, held in the Three Horseshoes Bar on Tuesday July 14th 1998, the name of Dillon's Cross Albion - the anglophile Albion has since been patriotically trashed - was decided on and, with sponsorship from publican Joe Lehane, a pitch was acquired in Killowen.

The squad consisted mostly of locals, the exceptions being players like Alan Kelleher and Paudie Riordan, both from Gurranabraher, and Alan Bryan who travelled from Bandon on a regular basis. Kieran Stevens, with a footballing background, and Greg Creagh, known to many through his involvement with Blue Demons basketball team, undertook the coaching and managing duties.

The first game for the club was against Dunbar Celtic in a challenge match; the final score was 5 - 2 to Dunbar. Wesley Kiely had the honour of scoring the first goal for the club, Stuart Crichton the second. They played their first league game away to South Cross Ath. with a 2 - 2 draw.

Due to work commitments, Greg Creagh and Kieran Stevens had to leave the frame in the New Year; Damien Wiley then took over the managership. Fortunes went up and down with Clive Kiely proving to be an invaluable asset up front and when Glen Rovers hurler Brian McSweeney joined the fray for the second half of the season the results improved considerably.

These two with Jason O'Donnell, a member of the squad from the beginning, but only playing regularly towards the end of the season, notched up 19 goals between them. The club captain for their first season was Mark Riordan who also assisted Damien Wiley in the secretary's role.

Jason O'Donnell and Clive Kiely shared the top scorers honour as they finished last season in joint fifth position.

With the first year out of the way, there is now a great family atmosphere amongst the players and a ladies committee was formed by Jo Bonner and Geraldine Stevens. Fundraising is now a main priority within the club and at the minute raffles and other events are planned to assist this cause.

This year John Kiely is chairman and captaining the side; Damien Wiley continues as secretary; Pat Kingston is vice-chairman with Mark Riordan as treasurer. The main aim of the side this year is promotion and a good cup run; they are achieving the latter with the AOH Cup exploits and looking forward, anxiously it must be said, to getting their league account off the mark.

Four games have resulted in four losses but there are no less than eighteen 3B matches remaining; too early yet to despair of that automatic promotion spot though the likes of Knocknaheeny and Alberts are the current promotion favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment